October half-term fun for Museums Week 2022
Museums and venues across Bath and North East Somerset will host an exciting programme of special events and activities over October half-term for Museums Week (22 to 30 October 2022).
Organised by Bath & North East Somerset Council, Museums Week celebrates the unique collections and activities in our local museums.
Councillor Kevin Guy, Leader of the Council, said: “There are Museums Week activities happening every day during October half-term, from a planetarium show and vintage train rides, to creative arts and crafts sessions. Many of the events and activities are free for local families with a Discovery Card – visit the Museums Week website to find out all the details.”
- Explore the Roman Baths by torchlight, celebrate the Festival of Lights and make a mini light
- Go ‘Catwalk Crazy’ and create your own life-sized fashion designs at the Fashion Museum
- Make a marvellous mask inspired by artworks at the Victoria Art Gallery
- Visit Bath Record Office to see the A Hundred Years of Homes in Bath exhibition and make a housing-themed collage
- Meet Medieval monks at Bath Abbey, and find out about their skills including illustrating books in the ‘Scriptorium’, spinning and weaving, and concocting herbal medicine
- Learn about famous astronomers William and Caroline Herschel at the Amazing Space Discoveries planetarium show at Bath Central Library
- Become a trainee detective on a discovery trail around Beckford’s Tower and create a memento to take home
- See the city’s gold, silver and civic regalia at the Mayor’s Parlour
- Enjoy open days and vintage train rides at Midsomer Norton South Station, part of the original Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway
- Make spooky Halloween origami decorations at the Museum of East Asian Art: ghosts, pumpkins, bats, witches and more!
- Admire the fine porcelain at No.1 Royal Crescent and decorate your own Georgian-style plate
There’s plenty on offer for adults too, including talks, tours and exhibitions.
For full event listings please visit www.bathmuseumsweek.co.uk.
Event dates and times vary – please check the website for details. Advance booking is essential at some venues.